>From: Jon Aseltine <aseltine / cs.umass.edu>
>To: ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: [ruby-talk:10703] Re: algorithm module(s)
>Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 15:38:29 +0900
>
>"J. Radcliffe" wrote:
> >
> > I have been giving some thought to writing modules that define some
>common
> > algorithms. If there is some consistent methodology, they could be
> > reused effectively in a number of ways. Various trees (b-trees,
> > red-black-trees) and graphs come to my mind right away, but there are
> > probably more. I've talked with matju about using these in his
>ArrayMixin,
> > which would allow someone to, say, use a btree data structure with an
> > array interface.
> >
> > Any thoughts as to how this could be done most effectively?
>
>Dunno, but I have Ruby implementations of algorithms for
>single-source-shortest-path and maximum-weight-bipartite-matching graph
>problems that I can contribute. I am sure they will need to be modified
>a lot, YMMV.
>
>Jon
>--

Just an aside, I've talked to Jeffrey a bit over the last couple of days on
#ruby-lang.  Jeffrey seems to have quite a few algorithms to contribute to
the ruby library, as you seem to do.  We had come up with the idea of
creating an algorithm package, to include b-trees, quicksort, bubblesort,
graphing algorithms, etc.  Maybe it would be best to create a topic on the
wiki where we could organize all of this, save a lot of duplication of
effort, decide exactly what people would want in an algorithm package, and
discuss the ultimate solutions.  Any objections?

Mike Wilson
Unix Administrator
http://ruby.weblogs.com