On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:52:19 +0900, David Morton wrote

> Couldn't a mod_ruby/eruby/asp environment take care of namespace
> clashes by somehow putting scripts in different applications? As far
> as I know, I haven't had any such clashes when using perl Apache::Asp.

There are three issues.  First, namespaces don't protect you if another
piece of code changes the behavior of Array.  This is one issue that Perl
doesn't have because you can't change the behavior of an array like you can
in Ruby.

Second, namespaces don't help your code and some other code use the same
global variable.

And third, namespaces don't help you if someone else's code intentionally
mucks around in your namespace.

In practice, so long as one takes a little care with coding, it is rarely a
problem.  In theory, though, especially in a shared hosting environment, it
could be ugly.

Kirk Haines