On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:57:31 +0900, David Garamond wrote
> Kirk Haines wrote:
> > fast_cgi:
> > - It IS more complex than mod_ruby.
>
> Depends on the definition of "complex". I myself see fastcgi as far
> less complex than Apache+mod_ruby (e.g. compare the number of lines
> of the code). Plus if you use FastCGI, you don't have to understand
> Apache API
> (which can be said to be "complex" too). You only have to understand
> the CGI protocol, which is understood by perhaps 95-99% of web programmers.

I think the use of complex here refers to the overall setup and config.
Neither is very complex, but there are more knobs that can be turned with
FastCGI in the setup.

> Anoher + for fastcgi: it's easier to use it in a shared hosting
> environment. Since I provide shared hosting, I currently don't
> provide mod_perl/mod_php/mod_ruby. PHP runs as a CGI script (with a
> special module), and all CGI scripts are wrapped to each user's UID.
> And fastcgi is supported since it's easy to wrap the fcgi scripts
> using the FastcgiSuexec mechanism.

Definitely.  The options when providing shared hosting are to just not worry
about it and hope there are no problems, or to not provide mod_(language)
support.  No argument there.

Kirk Haines