On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:09:08 +0900, tony summerfelt
<snowzone5 / hotmail.com> wrote:

> >section only around a small part of the method.  Only one thread can be
> >executing inside a critical section.)
>
> do i assume that a mutex will handle that? in  my testing it seems to
> work ok (ie. i get what i expect)

You should. That's what a mutex is for. I believe Robert meant that no
matter how many threads access your code if it doesn't get corrupted,
that doesn't prove it won't fail. In order to assert that you need
some sort of math proof.

Check out this presentation
http://www-sop.inria.fr/lemme/verificard/2002/slides/prensa.pdf

For a formal treatment on the subject, take a look at "On a Method of
Multi-Programming" by W.H.J. Feijen, A.J.M. van Gasteren [Springer,
1999.]

Regards.
Ed