I've been playing with telnet (and ssh) and I've been
pondering something.

Mixing sysread with buffered I/O is a Bad Thing (TM).

In fact, when I try to treat a telnet object as a socket
(which it is) and read from it using gets(), it crashes.
Not surprising.

So I was wondering: Would it make sense to have something like
"class SysIO < IO" where SysIO would do its own internal buffering
(and do everything in terms of sysread/-write at the lowest level)?

It would be a little like wheel-reinventing, but it would provide
an IO object on which these operations could be mixed.

Does this make sense or not?

Hal