Hal Fulton <hal9000 / hypermetrics.com> writes:

> However, I *thought* that I had it installed, for two reasons:
> 1. I can use ssh and scp. Don't they depend on openssl? Or is
>     there a lib distro without headers (rpm I guess)?

Well, yeah -- you don't need to have the headers installed for
runtime.  Presumably you are using a binary (rpm) version of
ssh?  Also, it appears as though openssh doesn't link against
openssl anyway.

$ ldd /usr/bin/openssl
        libssl.so.0.9.7 => /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.7 (0x40027000)

> 2. And yet I have old openssl.so files which I believed came from
>     building ruby; which would mean I'd have to have an ssl.h.

Yeah, and you haven't removed the openssl-devel package, etc?

I'd recommend just installing the RH openssl-devel package.  Of
course, I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, since I've
been using Debian for a long time.

Personally, I think splitting a package up into runtime/dev is a
good thing, since it reduces clutter and more easily lets you
have two versions of the same library installed.

--
Josh Huber