On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:

>>> That's just it -- it doesn't seem to be *anywhere*. And yet it would seem
>>> that I've built this in the past, as I have old openssl.so files on my
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> Duh??
>>>
>>> Hal
>>

>> if you use something evil, like rpms, you can easily have *.so files but
>> not
>> headers...
>>
>> tar.gz is my mantra.
>
> OK, but the ones I have are all under ruby directories... I'm pretty sure
> I've never installed Ruby via rpm.

ok.  i meant installing openssl via rpms.

> Where does ssl.h come from in the first place? Is there something outside
> the Ruby world I don't have installed?

ssl.h should come from the openssl install.  however, if you installed a linux
distro and didn't explicitly ask for headers (or devel, or whatever for that
distro) you may or may not have installed headers.  the defaults (for redhat
at least) seems to be to NOT also install header files with packages.  this
really anoys me.  the only solution is probably to

   - use rpms or similar to (re)install opensll (or is it openssh?) but ONLY if
     it also manages to install header files

   - install opensll from the tar ball - this will certainly install the
     headers

another alternative is to simply download the tar ball of the EXACT same
version of opensll you have installed and configure jamis' package to look
there for it's header files.  after it's built you can delete it.

make sense?

-a