James, Roshan (Cognizant) wrote:

> Thanks for pointing me at these. I just tried rubyscript2exe - very
> impressive. Yes this should solve the problem to certain extent - only
> that the overhead is amazing. A simple 'puts "hello world"' took approx
> 900k. The size doesn't grow very much with the size of the program, but
> increases in leaps when you use libraries.

I don't know if this is also true for RubyScript2Exe, but the
executables I created with Exerb could easily be compressed to a
reasonable size with UPX. (I could fit a Ruby/SDL-game which also uses
YAML into a 385 kb executable -- without compression it was 0,98 mb in
size.)

UPX can be found at http://upx.sourceforge.net/

> Regards
> Roshan