Ruben wrote:

> At Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:50:43 +0900,
> James, Roshan (Cognizant) wrote:
> >
> > I really agree with your sentiment about wanting to compile ruby
> > programs for the purpose of redistribution. That's the problem with all
> > the ruby code out there - there is no way I can redistribute it without
> > asking people download the ruby interpreter.
> > And they they go "whats that ?... " and the whole story telling process
> > starts.
>
> As has been said before, there _is_ a way to redistribute your
> application without asking people to download the
> interpreter... Actually, there are 2 ways, the first one is called
> Exerb and the second one is called RubyScript2Exe.

These are excellent solutions. Unfortunately, they only work for Windows.
I'm not aware of anything comparable for Mac or 'nix systems.

> I made a very small test application in ruby, turned it into one
> executable with RubyScript2Exe, then i used HM NIS Edit to make an
> initial script for NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System), which
> gave me a simple "Setup.exe".  I have to admit it was a very, very
> simple thing, but still it surprised me that it went so easy to make a
> good looking installer for it. The only thing the user has to do, is
> to run the "setup.exe", no need to even talk about ruby.
>
> RubyScript2Exe http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html
> NSIS           http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
> HM NIS Edit    http://hmne.sourceforge.net/
>
> > Taking ruby to a popular VM/runtime or native code, IMHO would be a big
> > big addition to the acceptibility of the language. I understand that
> > that it is a mind boggling amount of work to do this, in any acceptible
> > way.
>
> I don't really understand why you think it would be a problem to ask
> the user to install the ruby interpreter (the one-click installer),
> since you seem to think it would not be a problem to ask the user to
> first install for example a JVM to run a Java program... ?

Again, this would be a Windows-only solution.

Anyone who wants to take this approach can do it without the one-click
installer -- you can just install a private version of Ruby used only to run
your app. FreeRIDE does this for its Windows installation (and we have been
considering doing this for other platforms). If you want to see how this
works, install FreeRIDE on windows and take a look at the startup script
"run.bat".

> That being said, I would love to see a compiler (to bytecode or to
> native code) for ruby too, but then who doesn't ?

Me, too! Anyone who is really interested in this and has some available time
should considering helping the Cardinal project get ruby working with the
Parrot VM.

Curt