David Ross wrote:

> Why create a compiler to create stand alone
> executables?
>
> I find it difficult to have third part software
> installed on the computer. Also, if someone wants to
> include an application on a OS which I will not
> mention, they want a standalone that does not need a
> interpreter. This is one of the main reasons.

Not sure why you are so reluctant to mention an OS, or look at certain
source code; quite mysterious.  But on Windows, for example, the
requirement for an interpreter or runtime engine is quite common.  Any
Java(tm) app needs a VM installed. VB apps (pre .Net) require some
version of vbrun.dll.

Sometimes these things are already installed, sometimes not.  But once
installed they are available for other applications as well.

Plus, one can bundle up the Ruby interpreter into an executable using
exerb.  Makes the app larger, but still probably smaller than your
typical "stand-alone" Java(tm) program.

James