On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Scott Rubin wrote:

> I would
> use ExErb, except for one thing. I'm a Linux user. I have 4 computers and
> the target development board at my disposal. All of them run Linux.  I wont
> lecture you on the usual Linux vs. Windows stuff, that's a waste of your time
> and mine.  But yeah, exerb really wont help me in this case.
>
> Every time a ruby program is launched there is a lot of up-front processing
> that gets done. I just need something that can alleviate some or all of this
> up-front processing by storing the results on disk. I don't care how it works
> or what it does as long as it makes programs launch faster. And it has to
> work on all ruby supported operating systems.  Python does something like
> this, but python is no good for my embedded development since it requires too
> much disk space and it requires gcc.  Ruby I can fit in a very small package
> (1.8MB IIRC) and it cross-compiles for arm nicely.
>
> Thanks for your help though.
>
> -Scott

how about a simple 'ruby-interpreter' server written as a drb object.  the
server could simply start ruby via a fork'd process or via a pipe, and run the
code in question; something similar in spirit to mod_ruby.  you would
eliminate the start up costs only with this method, but your post seem to
suggest this might be o.k./sufficient

-a