David Ross wrote:

> Request. Can someone create a ruby specification? I
> want to try to create a true rubycc compiler that is
> licensed BSD. I cannot find the Ruby Specification
> book anywhere, and I refuse to read the ruby sources
> for legal reasons. Anyone want to read up on gc.c?
> Thats mainly the monster. It would be nice to have a
> full specification on ruby though. Also, if there are
> any compiler designers out there that would like to
> help or have any comments, drop me an email. Thanks. I
> would really like to create a compiler that generates
> small executables. It is important to expanding ruby
> IMO. Something in the essence of how Lua has a
> compiler. It would be really nice. Also, thanks to
> that there is no ruby compiler I could not use it in a
> commercial project. It would have been really nice to
> use it in projects that require a compiled binary that
> is 1) not open code, 2) not byte compiled. Please
> advise, David Ross

> http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/yahoo/votelifeengine/

Wow. I wish you the best of luck!

Many of us would be overjoyed to see a true rubycc. Even if its kinda
like gcj with a huge runtime library.  And the BSD style licensing makes
it sound almost too good to be true.

If this gets started and you need volunteers, I'm sure you'll find many
ready and willing.