Hello David,

DR> Request. Can someone create a ruby specification? I
DR> want to try to create a true rubycc compiler that is
DR> licensed BSD. I cannot find the Ruby Specification
DR> book anywhere, and I refuse to read the ruby sources
DR> for legal reasons. Anyone want to read up on gc.c?
DR> Thats mainly the monster. It would be nice to have a

That's a typo, the monster is  "eval.c".
Reading the "gc.c" file is as enjoying as reading Harry Potter.

DR> full specification on ruby though. Also, if there are
DR> any compiler designers out there that would like to
DR> help or have any comments, drop me an email. Thanks. I
DR> would really like to create a compiler that generates
DR> small executables. It is important to expanding ruby
DR> IMO. Something in the essence of how Lua has a
DR> compiler. It would be really nice. Also, thanks to
DR> that there is no ruby compiler I could not use it in a
DR> commercial project. It would have been really nice to
DR> use it in projects that require a compiled binary that
DR> is 1) not open code, 2) not byte compiled. Please
DR> advise, David Ross

This is a huge project that you want to start. And in 99% projects of
this size die faster then a local minister in iraq, leaving a lot
of wasted energy.

You should think twice if it is not better to support matz with doing
a rewrite of the current interpreter to get byte code for code obfuscation.
Because of the dynamic nature of Ruby and the interface it provides to
open languages you have to rewrite more or less the whole kernel
anyway. So please participate in the development of Rite.

There is no legal problem with using ruby in commercial projects,
otherwise matz would not be paid by his company.

And by the way, do you want to do this as part of some kind of job or
as a hobbyist ?