Neil Hodgson wrote:

 > The XPCOM binding for Python is now published as open source under
 > the  MPL. Anyone sufficiently interested could develop a Ruby
 > binding. I'm  certain Mark Hammond would be only too happy to offer
 >  advice even if  ActiveState isn't interested in supporting Ruby
 > yet.

I am certain he would too :-)

Re Komodo (which I am heavily involved in):

Small steps would be excellent.  If someone in the Ruby community wrote
a Scintilla lexer, I could assure you that we would add support for Ruby
files as a "known type" - but to be honest this doesnt give too much.

The harder bit is the debugger - although we have designed language
neutral debugging interfaces, they still need to be implemented for
Ruby.  Again, the Ruby community could help here.  Ruby XPCOM bindings
would help this effort enourmously.  It is worth noting that a real
opportunity exists for Ruby here.  Python and JS are the only language
bindings in the world for XPCOM.  Perl is 3/4 finished.  Ruby getting in
early could be give it a real kick-in-the-pants.

Unfortunately, we are pretty snowed under doing the languages we have
committed to.  Once we have a 1.0 out the door, we will be looking at
other languages.  PHP and Ruby are definitely the most requested languages.

I dont read this group regularly - please CC me on any replies.

Mark.