Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> got this from a friend... any thoughts?
>
> -a
> --
>
> | EMAIL   :: Ara [dot] T [dot] Howard [at] noaa [dot] gov
> | PHONE   :: 303.497.6469
> | A flower falls, even though we love it;
> | and a weed grows, even though we do not love it. |   --Dogen

> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:33:35 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov>
> Subject: scripting language
>
> Hey A-
>
> I'm investigating alternative scripting languages.  We
> currently use Perl almost exclusively (except
> sometimes some ksh) but would like to consider a
> language that is friendlier with the JVM.  It also has
> to have an LDAP API and an Oracle API, without
> requiring C coding (we don't have C coders here).
>
> My first task is to write a trivial script that
> selects one row from an Oracle database.  I installed
> ruby for windows.  I downloaded & installed ruby DBD,
> which says it requires ruby OCI, which doesn't come in
> binary form (i.e. requires me to compile it with a c
> compiler, which I don't have on my windows box).
>
> That's probably more rigamarole than several of these
> other languages require.  And the libraries themselves
> seem to be mostly alpha software with the last update
> sometime in 2003.
>
> I'm struck by the elegance of ruby and I'd really like
> to try and make it work, but am having a hard time
> fitting it into the production realities of our shop.
> I'm getting the impression that a C shop could really
> take the language and run with it, but a
> cobol/SQL/java shop like ours may be out of luck.  Do
> you have any encouraging words/links before I move on?

Has anyone ever reverse-engineered a network protocol before? It would
certainly be nice to have a "pure-ruby" driver for Oracle, so that it
could be used right out of the box on any platform, like the thin JDBC
drivers for Oracle.

I took a glance at some of the packets exchanged with our Oracle db here
and it looks like it might not be too difficult to come up with... but
then again, I'm probably hopelessly naive on this score, having never
even attempted to reverse engineer a protocol before. In fact, I don't
even know what the legal issues surrounding this would be.

I just think it would be slick. :)

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu