In article <03mJc.1002$Yx4.368 / newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>,
Randy Lawrence  <jm / zzzzzzzzzzzz.com> wrote:
>Anyone know if this is moving along or stalled?
>
>Here's the current status from:
>
>PLEAC - Programming Language Examples Alike Cookbook
>http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/
>
>Table of Contents
>Foreword
>1. Strings (89.5%)
>2. Numbers (94.7%)
>3. Dates and Times (91.7%)
>4. Arrays (100.0%)
>5. Hashes (94.1%)
>6. Pattern Matching (18.8%)
>7. File Access (41.3%)
>8. File Contents (28.6%)
>9. Directories (76.9%)
>10. Subroutines (100.0%)
>11. References and Records (6.2%)
>12. Packages, Libraries, and Modules (60.0%)
>13. Classes, Objects, and Ties (56.2%)
>14. Database Access (58.3%)
>15. User Interfaces (10.5%)
>16. Process Management and Communication (18.2%)
>17. Sockets (10.5%)
>18. Internet Services (0.0%)
>19. CGI Programming (20.0%)
>20. Web Automation (3.1%)
>A. Helpers

It has certainly slowed down, but Ruby isn't the only language in
the project that's slowed down.  I've been on the PLEAC email list for a
 couple of years now
and I only see submissions once or twice a month (for any of the
languages that are being worked on).  It seems that some folks on the
list are reaching the conclusion that not every feature maps between Perl
and each other language identically (and that's often a good thing).  For
example, Perl has ties but in Ruby there is very little (if any) need for
them so you won't find any Ruby code for that section.  Another example:
there is a Perl section on References - what kind of Ruby code can you
come up with to match that section (and do you really need to?)?

In other cases there there are sections that are covered in Perl which
are quite trivial in Ruby (the section on objects for examle).

Phil