--CqfQkoYPE/jGoa5Q

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg (nick / activehitconsulting.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> test/unit is super cool.I was blown away by how test/unit automatically=
=20
> looks in ObjectSpace and creates a test suite for all tests found, and=20
> then runs them.  I was wondering how it was possible, so I looked at=20
> unit.rb-
>=20
> at_exit{exit(Test::Unit::AutoRunner.run($0)) unless($! || Test::Unit.run?=
)}
>=20
> Cool!
>=20
> A couple of questions:
>=20
> 1. A more general question: how do I initialize instance variables=20
> without an "initialize" method? In my test case, I want instance=20
> variables, but placing "@myvar=3D1" outside a method doesn't seem to work=
=20
> ( I dimly recall that this is a class instance variable or something=20
> like that). The reason I want to do this is that in subclassing=20
> Test::Unit::TestCase I don't know offhand what it's initialize method=20
> looks like (a no arg "initialize" gives an argment number error) and=20
> don't want to learn just for this reason.

Use the setup and teardown methods.  Here's how a test case gets run:

test_case =3D YourTestCase.new
test_case.setup
test_case.test_something
test_case.teardown

(A fresh, new YourTestCase instance is created every time.)

> My other option is the setup method, since that is called for before all=
=20
> test methods. Are there any other options?

Yes :)

> 2. where do I find the will to return to programming in Java now that=20
> I'm having so much fun in Ruby?

You can find a unit test suite for Java, and write code in Groovy.  Word
on the street says Groovy is much like Ruby.

--=20
All messages signed with fingerprint:
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--CqfQkoYPE/jGoa5Q