Common in gardening- annuals (you have to plant them each year) and
perrenials (they come back- good for lazier gardeners). Unfortunately my
wife didn't realize that perrenials still needed water, or they turn
into sub-annuals :).

Also, "The Perennial Philosophy" by Aldous Huxley (of "Brave New World"
novel fame), which was very influential on the hippie and new age
movement, and the general trend for finding common religous grounds. A
reference to this book was what sent me to the dictionary a couple of
years back :).

Not so influential maybe as his "The Doors of Perception", which was
about his drug taking experience in the 50s and a huge influence on the
drug culture of the 60s. That title was also the source of the name of
the band "The Doors".

Maybe in a few years Ruby will be know as the "perennial scripting
language" :)

Nick