> I won't ask which is better, since I've just read some of the colorful
> net discussions on that topic.
>
> However, I've been mucking about in each, and am about to pick one to
> learn well. I get the impression that this list is about 2 to 1 in VIMs
> favour for usage (where either is being used). Is this roughly accurate?

I doubt it's possible to determine.  You should just conclude that there
is sufficient usage of both to be able to help you with any problems.

>  If so, is this because of VIM's potential to be compiled with Ruby
> bindings to it's API?

That's a good question, and the answer is no.  Both editors are complex in
their own way, and implement a certain philosophy of text editing.  It's a
psychological fit with that philosophy that drives usage, not Ruby
bindings to an API.  The former is an order of magnitude more significant
than the latter.

I am an expert in both Vim and Ruby, and don't bother to use the Ruby
bindings.  They're cool to have (even thought I rarely have them compiled
in), but I've never thought of doing anything that requires them.  BTW, I
hate Vim's inbuilt scripting language.

Cheers,
Gavin