Sean O'Dell wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 15:22, Florian Gross wrote:
>
>>Sean O'Dell wrote:
>>
>>>I know, but I was trying to illustrate how some people seem to get
>>>the rule against assignment operators confused with simple
>>>You can assign values to variables in a functional
>>>language, you just have to do it through a function call; the
>>>assignment is permitted, however.  We're in agreement.
>>I'm not sure we're that rule is coming from -- do you remember any
>>sources for this or could you try to explain why it exists for yourself?
> I just found a great primer on FP, and I think I have either forgotten a lot
> of it from my LISP days, or LISP never had these FP features I'm reading
> about.  This is really a very authoritative, clear and concise explanation:
>
> 	http://www.cs.nyu.edu/goldberg/pubs/gold96.pdf

Heh, I actually meant to say what's written there on the first page with
all that "variables are just aliases" speech.

If you intended to say this, too, then we're already agreeing here. :)

(Which means that this special aliasing assignment can be done via an
operator-style syntax or a function-call-style syntax. This also means
that operators and functions are actually the same things with different
syntaxes. :))

Oh, and I think that let x = y is actually an operator-style syntax.

Regards,
Florian Gross