Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> Hi Jamis,
>
>  an addition:
>
>  After activating gcc-3.4.1 be hand, sqlite-ruby 1.3.0 does compile
>  and install fine.
>
>  So the remaining question is: What source of knowledge does the
>  install process of sqlite-ruby use to figure out that there is a
>  gcc-3.4.1 "somewhere in the deep of the system" installed and hidden
>  from the world (ok,ok, I am definetly /NOT/ Shakespeare ;O))) and to
>  choose the OPTIONS for that compiler but then call gcc-3.3.4 -- and
>  fail.

Not being a gcc expert by any stretch of the imagination, I have no idea
why that would be occurring. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with
sqlite-ruby. (A way to test would be to try to compile other extension
libraries for Ruby.) Could it be the mkmf library? Or perhaps there is a
configuration file for gcc-3.4.1 that got installed in some global
location (like /etc, or pkgconfig, or something) which is messing things up?

>  Two other things:
>  Do you think it would be possible to have an install process which is
>  separated from the configure/compile process for sqlite-ruby? I think
>  it is a good idea to do as less as possible as root in general.

Well, I wanted to make it as painless as possible to install. You can
always go through the process manually:

1) cd to ext
2) run 'ruby extconf.rb'
3) run 'make'
4) as root, run 'make install'
5) cd to ../lib
6) as root, copy sqlite.rb to your site_ruby/1.8 directory

The reason for this setup is so that it all plays nicely with rubygems.
Perhaps 0.7 makes it easier, or perhaps I'm just advertising my
ignorance, but putting extconf.rb and sqlite.c in the root directory of
the project (which allows extconf.rb to acknowledge the existence of the
lib subdirectory) made it so that rubygems could not compile the
extension. Putting extconf.rb and sqlite.c in an 'ext' subdirectory,
which is what rubygems liked, made it so that extconf.rb did not know
that the 'lib' subdirectory existed. *sigh*

>  When I searched for reasons of the gcc-mystique I encountered on my
>  system :) I found that sqlite itsself can generate HTML-output.
>  Is it possible to get such an output via sqlite-ruby?

Well, you can always generate the HTML yourself. :) The 'sqlite' command
line utility for SQLite does just that -- it uses the underlying SQLite
API to query the data, and then builds HTML output. If you want HTML
output using Ruby, you have to query the data and then format it yourself.

--
Jamis Buck
jgb3 / email.byu.edu