> You could just try symlinking  what you have under the name ruby expects:
>
> ln -s /whereever/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.whatever /usr/local/mysql-4.0.14/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.12.dylib
>
> ? Might work, might segfault.

I think I had tried that before and it didn't work, but since then, I've
ditched everything and installed mysql and ruby from darwinports, so now
my mysql dir has got the .dylib files. (I have a irb with working history :)

So I did as you said, more or less: I created a mysql-4.0.14 dir where
cerise expected it, and inside it I created a symlink to /opt/local/lib
called lib. It appears to be working (at least cerise started)

Only one other dumb question now: how do I get darwinports to install
ruby in /usr? Or for that matter, mysql too? or is it advisable that I
just leave port to do its stuff its own way?