Hello,

On Monday, July 12, 2004, at 07:18  PM, Randy Lawrence wrote:

> But this opens up the scenario where a poor-quality module keeps a
> common-sense name simply because it was first--while a newer, perhaps
> much better library that serves the exact same purpose has to grab a
> more esoteric name.
>
> The more appropriate the module names, the more potential for conflict
> between modules that provide similar functionality from different
> authors.

There is a point to having name-space collisions.  Open source authors
serve the community by working together.  Just segmenting out your
module names has the affect of avoiding each other.  Colliding makes
you aware of other projects :-)

And unless it's in the standard lib, I don't really thing any library
has any "right" to a name.  If the library writers want to work
together, they can agree on a differentiating naming scheme.  And if
they don't care, then they can ignore each other.  It probably won't
matter.

Cheers,

Patrick