I don't think there's any consensus as to what version numbers mean.
In the case of Lafcadio I can tell you that although it's not done,
it's also used on real systems handling real users and non-trivial
volume. (I believe the same can be said for ActiveRecord, too.)

The site where I mainly work gets 3m hits/month; that's backed by
Lafcadio. In fact I make sure to always have a stable bugfix branch
and a dev branch so users can choose their level of risk. I use the
stable bugfix branch for that main site.

Francis