On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:10:01 +0900, Gavin Sinclair
<gsinclair / soyabean.com.au> wrote:
> Randy Lawrence wrote:
>
> > RubyGems looks very interesting...  Especially for those of us that miss
> >  perl's CPAN.
> >
> > When is RubyGems "development status" expected to get a bump up from the
> >  "3 - Alpha" status currently noted here?
> >
> >       http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems/
>
> Good question.  While RubyGems has come a long way, it's still on the
> growth curve.  There'll be a 1.0 sometime this year, I predict, but
> fundamental things could still change before then, so it's hard to
> consider it anything other than alpha.

Well said.  The "growth curve" is the primary thing keeping us from
calling it anything other than alpha.  As demonstrated by our last
release, we're not afraid to change things significantly in the name
of (we hope) progress.  So, the "alpha" label is a kind of "beware of
change" sign for those developers that are cool enough to help out and
be early adopters. ;)

> Mind you, it's a very usable alpha :)

Yes, please do give it a try and give us some feedback to add to the
ever-growing list of helpful feature suggestions, refactorings, and
bug reports.

Thanks,
Chad