That was actually the first thing I tried but I figured I would just
trial and error my way through soem Ruby syntax and class << CGI was my
next guess.  Thanks for clarifying the difference.  As it happens
though, this makes no difference.  Again, I think this may have
something to do with the input(attributes) function at the bottom of the
  original cgi class.  Something about these variables get precidence
over any overriding variables???

Me no understand...