On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:49:08 +0900, Sean O'Dell <sean / celsoft.com> wrote:
> I wanted to give my libraries perfectly ordinary names, such
> as with my interface library, but when I used the name "interface" people
> went ballistic because someone else had already used the name.  I would
> gladly get rid of the "celsoft.com" part of library names, but since names
> are often decided based on who grabs it first, I have little choice.  Well, I
> could name my libraries with brand-name style names, like 3DInterfacePro or
> InterfaceMagic, or YAIL (Yet Another Interface Library) instead of just
> Interface, but I don't particularly care for those sorts of names.  Better to
> use the most appropriate, simplest name, and just partition it under a domain
> name.

Unsurprisingly, I disagree. Your "Interface" library could have been
called "Interface::Check"; I personally would have contacted Daniel
and seen if he would have been willing to rename his Interface library
to "Interface::JavaStyle" or something like that. The problem you ran
into, Sean, is that you simply released your library as Interface
without checking to see if there was a namespace collision.

I've run into this problem a couple of times, and in one case, it was
something where I haven't touched the library since (RSS); in the
other, I chose a different name and namespace (Diff::LCS instead of
having a *third* library called Algorithm::Diff).

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca