I believe...if memory serves...that you can do:

If your gem is remote (on 0.7.0):

  gem install whatevergem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

If your gem is local (on 0.7.0):

  gem install whatever.gem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

If you have a prior version of rubygems use:

  gem --install (options above)

Instead of gem install.

This used to work...and unfortunately I am not at a place to test it...let
me know if it works.

-rich