Hi --

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Randy Lawrence wrote:

> How do we manage namespaces in Ruby to avoid collisions with 3rd parties?
>
> In Java, they use something like "com.companyname.foo" as a naming
> convention which then maps to directories.
>
> In Ruby, how do we name modules so our "foo" module doesn't collide with
> a 3rd-party module named "foo" from another company?

I would emulate the built-in/standard library style as much as
possible, i.e., no company names and a General::Specific::MoreSpecific
nest.

If company names absolutely must enter into it, it would be better to
put them at the other end; I'd rather "require
'xml/parsers/AcmeXMLCo'" than 'AcmeXMLCo/xml/parser'.  The former is
not ideal, but it's less disruptive and less ungainly than the latter.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net