The following worked for me:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ModRubyWithRuby181

In general, look over http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh for
more Ruby on Macintosh information. And if you have find anything new,
please add to the pages! There are a lot of repeat Mac questions that
would be nicely summarized on the wiki.

The other thing I did to configure on Mac was get readline working with
irb. I downloaded the bundle linked to on this page (it worked fine for
me on 10.3)-
   http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_for_mac.html

irb is an interactive ruby interpreter that is helpful when learning
ruby. readline enables command history in it.

Nick