On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:26:34 +0900, Meino Christian Cramer
<meino.cramer / gmx.de> wrote:

>  I got some problem with ... what ?
>
>  I downloaded
>
>                           rubygems 0.7
>                           Fox-1.2.6
>                           FXRuby-1.2.0
>
>  I installed Fox-1.2.6. ... no errors.
>  I installed rubygems...still no errors
>  I did a
>
>    sudo gem install FXRuby-1.2.0.gem
>
>  Still no errors.

OK.

>  In the FXRuby-documentation (which is installed unfortunately not
>  under /usr/share/doc or /usr/doc...) I found then the advice to
>  install FXRuby with
>
>    sudo ruby FXRuby-1.2.0.gem
>
>  which I treid but it gaves me an error.

The latest version of RubyGems (version 0.7.0) was released just a day
or so ago. They decided to make some non-backwards-compatible changes.
The next alpha release of FXRuby 1.2.0 will account for these changes.

> I ignored this, since if me
> previously takey way of installing FXRuby would be wrong, I had no
> chance to read, that I did wrong... ;)

No, you followed the instructions correctly, and those would have
worked for RubyGems 0.6.1. Such is life on the bleeding edge of
software.

>  Furthermore in the documentation I found a short check for a correct
>  installation:
>
>  irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
>  true
>  irb(main):002:0> require_gem 'fxruby'
>  true
>
>  which both works.

Good.

>  I typed in
>
>     #!/usr/bin/ruby
>     require 'fox'
>     include Fox
>     theApp = FXApp.new
>     theMainWindow = FXMainWindow.new(theApp, "Hello")
>
>  as described in tzhe docu.....I chmod+x'ed the scruipt and started
>  it:
>
>  And I got
>
>   ./hw.rb:4: uninitialized constant Fox (NameError)

OK, that part of the documentation is out of date for this alpha
release. Have I used the words "first alpha release" enough in this
response?

>  Since these are my very very first steps with FXRuby I have really no
>  clue what this will say to me... :O)

Maybe it will say to you, "use the stable release and not an unstable
alpha release." But somehow I doubt it.