Dave Thomas wrote:

> (Gosh, it'd be nice if ruby-doc attributed its contributors... I'm
> guessing that I wrote at least 50% of the site's content :))

What sort of attributions, and where should they go?

The site's content is a mix of pointers to assorted resources
   http://www.ruby-doc.org/articles/

... news about documentation and presentations
    http://www.ruby-doc.org

... FAQs and guides and tutorials in assorted languages
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads/
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/

... conference videos
   http://www.ruby-doc.org/downloads/Euruko2003/

... the rdoc from the Ruby source:
  http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/rdoc/1.9/
  http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/

... an HTML version of Programming Ruby
   http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/

.. plus the temporarily suspended ri URL interface

All the hosted content is pretty much "as is"; if a file does not
contain a visible attribution or copyright then it will not appear
anyplace.  Basically, what one sees is pretty much the same as when one
runs ri or rdoc's the source code.  This is mostly so that updates are
easy to just drop into place.  I don't want to have to go through and
munge text, style, formatting, and whatnot.

The Programming Ruby pages have a copyright notice, though it only
mentions the publisher, not the authors; the authors' names only seem to
appear on the background image of the cover.   If there is a preferred
version of the files to host, please let me know.

The std-lib page has attributions and thanks at the bottom of the first
page.

I certainly agree that authors should get attribution.  I'm not quite
sure how and where it be done.  There are multiple contributors to the
documentation for both the base classes and the standard lib, and I'm
not sure how practical it is to list who wrote exactly what (unless
perhaps people started signing their names to the source comments).
A more general list of contributors could simply say who contributed
content for what general documents (e.g., core classes, std-lib,
Programming Ruby).  This could go at the bottom of the main page, or on
it's own page linked from the home page.

If anyone has content either hosted on ruby-doc.org, or linked from the
site, and would like to see an attribution (assuming it isn't already
there), and has suggestions on how this should be done, please let me
know.  I don't want anyone to feel as if their efforts are going
unnoticed or their work is being misappropriated.

Similarly, if anyone sees their work on the site and has a problem with
it being there, tell me and I'll take it down.

James Britt

james <AT> ruby-doc <DOT> org