On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, greg strockbine wrote:

> Larry Wall's interview is how I found out
> about Ruby.  Within a week I had Ruby
> installed at home and work,  bought the book,
> started rewriting my Perl scripts into Ruby

Wow. Sounds exactly like myself.

> and generally made myself obnoxious at work

I try not to be too obnoxious about Ruby at work. :)

> by telling everyone within ear shot how truly
> great Ruby is.   I'm in love!

Yes, I can't believe how powerful Ruby is while at the same time really
lowering the bar for programmability and readability. I have written some
extensive perl scripts at work and my boss thinks perl is a great
language, but he cringes at the cryptic syntax.

When I mentioned that I was converting all my Perl scripts to Ruby, he had
no problem with it. Didn't even question the idea.
I was really surprised at the lack of resistance.

Jim Freeze
jim / freeze.org
** http://www.freeze.org **