Hi --

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> What is the purpose of Rubygarden.com?  I know that
> http://www.rubygarden.com/ruby/
> mirrors the www.pragprog.com Wiki, but what is envisioned for the
> rest of the site?

The Ruby Garden is envisioned as something similar to what has been
referred to as an "on-line cookbook" -- that is, a dedicated site for
the contributing, discussing, testing, and refining of snippets of
Ruby code by developers.  The name "garden" seemed more appropriate
than "cookbook", because the idea is to nurture/tend/prune snippets of
code.  A cookbook (i.e., a collection of already-tested, recommended
ways of doing certain things) would be, potentially, an outcome of the
Garden.

Dave Thomas and I have been planning and beginning to create the
software for the Garden, in the hope of some kind of preliminary
unveiling in the not-too-distant future.  Whereupon, hopefully, the
Garden will be open for business, and the Garden software itself will
be open-sourced.

Stay tuned....

David

--