Folks:

I've been thinking long and hard about the licensing of the new version
of the PickAxe.

As you know, soon after publishing the original book we released it for
free under an open license. We did this for two reasons. First, we
wanted to see the Ruby community grow, and we felt that having the book
available would help. We think that this happened. Second, we hoped
that we'd set a trend, and that all Ruby books would end up
open-sourced. This didn't happen. In fact, what seemed to  happen is
that folks picked up the free version of the PickAxe and used the money
they'd saved to buy one of the other, closed titles.

So, for the new book, we won't initially be releasing the entire book
for free. Instead, we'll be contributing to the community in different
ways. First, I've already taken all the updated reference section (with
something like 150 new or significantly different methods) and released
it to core developers. It's been used to add RDoc comments to the Ruby
source. That represented many months of work.  Second, we'll use the
fact that we're in control of the publishing process to keep the costs,
and hence the price, down.

I wanted to announce this now so there's no surprise when the book
comes out (probably in October).

Cheers

Dave