On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 03:35:13 +0900, tony summerfelt
<snowzone5 / hotmail.com> wrote:

> ruby docs may not be as abundant as something like  perl, but the
> printed docs i have (pickaxe, nutshell) have gotten me through most
> code. this place got me through the rest :)

In my opinion, books like "Programming Ruby" and "Ruby in a Nutshell"
do a fine job of documenting the basics of Ruby programming. But when
one moves on to more advanced topics (if that's the right word),
things like programming web applications, GUIs, working with
databases, etc. the documentation starts to get spotty. You are
correct that the Ruby community is a helpful bunch, and that you can
get most of the help you need if you hang out on the mailing list or
IRC. But wouldn't it be swell to be able to go to the bookstore and
just buy "Developing Web Applications with Ruby" rather than
scavenging the web to try to piece together all of the knowledge that
you need?