On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 10:41:13 +0900, Michael Fivis wrote:

> If not for discouraging 'casual copying', then are there
> tools for general distribution? (Like py2exe for making
> executables for example)

Well, here's some advertising for my own projects...

gegroet,
Erik V.

"Tar2RubyScript generates a standalone Ruby script from an
existing TAR archive or directory, which contains a complete
Ruby application (scripts plus files). When this Ruby script is
run, it does a temporary installation of that application, just
before executing it. You might think of it as the Ruby version
of Java's JAR... Let's call it an RBA (Ruby Archive)."

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/tar2rubyscript/index.html

"RubyScript2Exe transforms your Ruby script into a standalone
Windows executable. You can look at it as a "compiler". Not in
the sense of a source-code-to-byte-code compiler, but as a
"collector", for it collects all necessary files to run your
script on an other machine: the Ruby script, the Ruby
interpreter and the Ruby runtime library (stripped down for
this script). Anyway, the result is the same: a standalone
exe-file. And that's what we want!"

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html