Olivier CARRERE <olivier / vibes.net> wrote:

[...]
>I hope so too, since I'm far from being a great Ruby guru. BTW, do you
>know how to explicitely call the garbage collector?

From the standard PR book, GC.start should do it.

You may also wish to include ObjectSpace and then
define_finalizer to cause objects to do cleanup when
they go away.

Freeing resources from temporary objects is probably
best done using ensure and the end of your block.
You may have many temporary objects existing before
garbage collection is called.  If they are global
resources such as sockets and filehandles, your
process may run out unexpectedly...

Cheers,
Ben