Neil Johnson wrote:

> I've been programming in Java and Perl for several years now but I'm
> really excited about Ruby since starting to use it recently.

I welcome you to the community!

> If there's anything I can do to help as regards translation,
> please let me know.

And thank you for the generous offer!

We haven't had too many of the people like you, nor started any great
documentation process. The reasons are various, like the lack of time, great
insight what should be done, by whom and when, the technology etc. But
basically all the time we've been waiting for, we've been waiting for good
(IMHO).

The latest news is that The Refefence manual (
http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/index.html ) might get "open-sourced" thus
free for editing and other uses. After the final note on that I guess we
start to form the real plan.

We might also wait a while to form better idea how Rubygarden, Ruby Mine,
and RAA will play together. Especially RAA is important as there might be
some requirements for the form of the documentation from it's point of view.

There's lot of documentation subject for translation. The easiest way to
find out would be to ask from the people who know it best. So I'll mail the
request to ruby-list and/or other Japanese lists and see what they think
about it.

When we have better idea what should be done to the documentation in
general, we can start to coordinate better.

There has been discussions about the documentation before. Here's one thread
that I found (
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/3292 ). Please
click the button with solid green line to get the thread view and green 'N'
to get next message in thread.

Oh, and here's one very important one about the Ruby Documentation Project
by rubykitch
( http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/5605 ). But as
you can see from the dates on the English page, this hasn't really went
forward. I'm sure you get some idea and can co-operate with rubykitch even
before "the master plan" has any form (not to mention it would be ready).
This doesn't exclude other English speaking world.

In any case, I like to say how happy I am that you've joined the forces.
I've tried to learn a bit Japanese two years ago and a year ago. But so far
I haven't progressed much. I guess I try it again this spring ;).

	- Aleksi