Lennon Day-Reynolds wrote:
>>why would anyone care that you are not using Ruby ?
>>
> Perhaps because we would like to see more people using Ruby? Or even
> just because the sort of people who use "fringe" languages like Ruby
> tend to enjoy discussion of obscure details of implementation and
> semantics?

As much as we like that to happen, Ruby is not for everyone.

+ it has many Perlisms (not that it's bad) that many people can't bear.

+ it's purely object-oriented (unlike Python & Perl), thus functional or
procedural guys might get offended or turned off.

+ it comes from Japan.

I am guessing that Python will always be more popular than Ruby in
general, because the language is more acceptable to many people.
However, that's fine. I myself think that the Ruby language is perfect
for me. It has the nice balance of practicality and purity. It has a
nice syntax. It is pretty popular (unlike, say, Ocaml or Haskell) so
it's easier to find libraries or bindings for many things. It simply rocks.

--
dave