Cai Li <caili / cdgwbn.com.cn> wrote in message news:<40E16931.8010504 / cdgwbn.com.cn>...
> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>
> >[ANN] linalg-0.3.2 -- Ruby Linear Algebra Library
> >
> >http://linalg.rubyforge.org/
> >
> >http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=273
> >

> Great job!  I am just looking forward such a Matlab-like module.  Do
> you put some iterative techniques in matrix algebra in your to-do
> list?Since I am working on implementing some ones in Ruby ,like SOR.

I have not thought about iterative methods yet.  You are welcome to
contribute if you wish.  Actually I use conjugate gradient all the
time via some other modeling software.

This is related to a couple general concerns I have:

The first is fragmentation of efforts in ruby.  If someone wants to
publish fast Fourier transforms or iterative methods, he or she should
be able to pull from a common library.  For example it's essential to
have a common complex number class written in C.

The second is duplication of existing functionality already present in
open software.  Can anyone suggest a good C library for numerical
analysis?

There are also application-level packages like Octave and R-Project.
Octave appears to have the most functionality but seems to lack the
means of binding to a language, though I am not sure.  R-project
does provide for bindings, but lacks in functionality.