On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 nobu.nokada / softhome.net wrote:

> Kernel#system returns true when the command succeeded, or false.
>
> One thought:
> system could return nil keeping error info when the command
> couldn't execute, as perl does.  Then, the current behavior
> would moved to Process.start, invoke or something else.

i like this.  i use this sort of thing alot

   ret = method

   case ret
     when true
     when false
     when nil
   end

but some might not like it.  i think it's clean since it still allows

   system cmd or abort "failed on <#{ cmd }>"

i just have a feeling that combination of exception and exitstatus checking
will suprise many.  although i admit the separation dose make logical sense
to me now...

-a