"rolo" <rohitlodha / hotwireindia.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ACEPLIKLBKEMDDIELPKIKEIACIAA.rohitlodha / hotwireindia.com...
> Hi
>
> I am currently implementing a VM for Ruby. The code shall be compiled in
my
> case.

Compiled to what?  Java bytecode?

Did you look at those projects under way dealing with Java bytecode
compilation and native compilation?

> Currently, the instance variables are implemented as an hash table. In
> complied form it can be also implemented as an array.
> Both of the methods have its only drawbacks and advantages but no
> limitations on implementing the ruby language as it is currently.
>
> Has anyone thought about which might be better in case of compiled code?

A hash since you don't know at compile time how many instance variables
there will be.  You can't know beforehand since there is
#instance_variable_set and ...get.

Regards

    robert