Phil Tomson wrote:

# I was looking at some Win32 perl modules on CPAN recently -
# specifically, I need some functionality that is provided by perl's
# Win32::GuiTest module.  From what I can tell, most of the code
# involved is actually C code - they have C wrappers of some Win32
# system calls, etc. and then they build on them - mostly all in C,
# only one of the funtions was actually written in Perl.  But there's
# a catch, the code they provide is actually not the original C code ,
# but the .xs files which are presumably read by XS (kind of like
# SWIG, but specifically for extending Perl).
#
# Now, I could be wrong, but the XS code (somecode.xs) looks mostly
# like C code with some added tags.  Might it not be possible (and
# somebody who is more familiar with XS than I could shed some light
# here) to take the .xs files and munge them somehow to create Ruby
# extentions - or at least to make them readable from SWIG and then
# create Ruby modules from that direction.  It seems like doing this
# could get us a good number of Perl modules (at least where the
# modules rely heavily on C code) fairly quickly.

Well, I strongly object to calling that stealing, even in jest. As I'm
sure Larry Wall would be quick to point out, it's *open* *source*
software!

But anyway, what you suggest seems like a Great Idea (tm), IMHO (albeit an
uninformed one in this case).

Does anyone know if anyone in Python land has tried something along these
lines?

Conrad Schneiker