I posted this a few days back, and I never got a response.  But I'm still
having the problem, and I still don't understand it.  I'm running on Win2k
and Ruby 1.6.2 from the single click installer.  I'd really appreciate any
help that I could get.

The line of code with the problem is...

@connection = Net::Telnet.new('Host' => @hostname.value)

The error message is:

error: /cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.6/net/telnet.rb:324:in `open': Invalid
argument - "connect(2)"

The relevant block from telnet.rb is:

if @options["Timeout"] == false
	@sock = TCPsocket.open(@options["Host"], @options["Port"])
else
	timeout(@options["Timeout"]) do
      	@sock = TCPsocket.open(@options["Host"], @options["Port"])

Line 324 with the error is the assignment in the else clause.  Inspecting
the @options structure reveals that it's perfectly normal -- particularly,
the port is 23 and the host is correct.

This happens intermittently -- in my test cases it happens about 20% of the
time, but from the Tk interface, it's happening close to 100% of the time.

I'm not even completely sure what the error message means here -- and I
can't tell what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Noel Rappin