On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 06:38:04 +0900, Charles Comstock <cc1 / cec.wustl.edu> wrote:

> Is there any sort of tutorial on calling ruby functions from C++ code?
> I looked at the documentation for SWIG and that all seems to be for
> wrapping a C++ class in a ruby object, which is all well and good for
> many uses but what if you are trying to say derive from a C++ base class
> and then write the code in Ruby.  I'm not sure if SWIG allows this and
> I'm just misreading the directions or if this is possible through some
> other route.  Anybody have any experience with this problem?

The latest versions of SWIG (in the 1.3.x development series) provide
support for so-called "director" classes, which allow you to subclass
wrapped C++ classes with Ruby classes and then override their virtual
member functions. This feature is documented a bit (see
http://www.swig.org/Doc1.3/Python.html#n32) but because the feature's
still fairly new, you may not many examples of it in the wild.

If you decide to give this a whirl and run into problems, please feel
free to follow up with me or on the SWIG users' mailing list.

Hope this helps,

Lyle