On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Conrad Schneiker wrote:

> However, over the past few days, I've seen several cases where a
> lower-numbered post has arrived considerably later (several hours later in
> one case) after batches of higher number posts. Does anyone know whether
> this sort of thing is fairly widespread? And does anyone know if this is
> typically an internal e-mail system problem? Or does the Internet itself
> sometimes somehow contribute to this phenomenon?

Most of the internet mail are delivered AFAIK as UDP traffic, which is
unreliable transfer mode. I'm not familiar with the mail protocols and
how they determine if the mail was received and should not be resend,
but I guess they implement some simple time-out and resend if no ack
has been received.

I guess it's no big surprise the order of UDP datagrams can change
during transfer.

But maybe I should just shut up as I don't know the details.

    - Aleksi