On Thursday 24 June 2004 17:23, rolo wrote:
> > Sean O'Dell (sean / celsoft.com) wrote:

> > > irb(main):002:0> {}.class = Array
> > > NoMethodError: undefined method `class=' for {}:Hash
> > >         from (irb):2
> > > irb(main):003:0>
> >
> > Even if there was a #class= for objects, it ranks up there with goto in
> > limited usefulness.  Yes, it can be useful, but if you're using it,
> > you're probably being too clever.
>
> I knew it was evil, I think it should be norm.
>
> PS I know it is not allowed, but is it so for tech reasons?

Good question.  I am personally having trouble thinking of a good reason why a
programmer couldn't change the class of an object.  Except for possible
problems when a different set of methods suddenly gets a set of instance
variables it might not expect (buyer beware), it seems like we ought to be
able to do that.  I don't believe there's any solid technical block to doing
this, is there?

	Sean O'Dell