On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:48:59 +0900, Jim Weirich <jim / weirichhouse.org> wrote:

> Jim Weirich said:
>
> <nothing!>
>
> I hate it when I hit send by accident!
>
> > Sean O'Dell said:
> >> I didn't realize this either.  Someone ought to write a definitive
> >> tutorial on Gems and maintain it with each release.  The examples
> >> I found left a lot of things unexplained and it was a painful
> >> session of trial-and-error to get my gems working properly, and
> >> even then, I didn't know there was a way to bypass the "require_gem"
> >> statement.
> >>
> >> If any more work is done on Gems, I strongly recommend it be on good
> >> documentation, and then maintain those docs to update it for the changes
> >> made in the future.
>
> We are currently reworking the command structure of the gem command.  It
> grew to be a confusing hodge-podge of options and suboptions.  The new gem
> command will follow the cvs model (e.g. gem install ...) and the options
> will be clearly identified for each gem command.  The internals will be
> much cleaner as well.
>
> At that time we will revisit the documentation and make sure it gets
> updated.  Documentation is high on our priority list.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.

While vacationing in Europe, I'm working on what will hopefully be a
very thorough and friendly guide to using RubyGems.  Hopefully I'll be
able to share more when I get back.

Sorry for not being personally more responsive to RubyGems
questions/issues over the past week or so.  I've been traveling with
family...supposed to be on vacation. ;)

Thankfully, there are a lot of knowledgable RubyGems people, so even
with two of us out of town on vacation work continues (perhaps even
better without us...what do you think Jim? ;)

Chad