Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> --- daz wrote:
> >
> > [config.h, config.status & rbconfig.rb]
> > Data such as compiler options are taken from here as input to mkmf.rb
> > but bear little, or no relation to the user's environment.
> >
> > To be able to install C extensions easily, my assumption was that a
> > self-built Ruby would be a prerequisite unless a user was prepared to do
> > some serious reworking of the generated makefiles and, maybe, others.
>
> Do you mean compiling extensions, or installing them?  To compile them
> you need a C compiler, of course :)

Given those two alternatives, I'd say both.

> Extensions go into [$sitearchdir], which translates into
> /ruby-install-directory/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt for the
> one-click installer, so packages know where to install extensions.

Indeed, and when I was using one-click from Prag/\ndy, I noticed that
a lot of these directories were set to drive T:\ .  Not difficult to
find and change those, but wherever you  #include "ruby.h", some
subtle upset might occur from using a config.h file which contains
#defines tailored to someone else's machine.

It might not be a problem, but I'm not inclined towards finding out.

daz